Sunday, April 6, 2008

Comfort Food: Haiti Style...

Yum! Fried plantains, rice and red beans. It smelled like dinner time at the orphanage when I made this. I just cooked a package of yellow rice with some some garlic & onions that I let sweat in olive oil until soft. I put a plop of chicken base in while the rice cooked, too.

I don't know if they use cilantro in Haiti, but I love it and the plate needed some green. See the empty spot up there at the top of the plate?
I caught the plantain thief in the act!
They were really ripe and extremely yummy. After frying, I sprinkled them with a little Adobo seasoning. I know that there's a double fry method where you cut them into thicker chunks and smash them down after the first fry, but I just didn't have the patience for an extra step. I was ready to EAT!

7 of your thoughts:

Melissa E. said...

Looks like something that would be served up at a restaurant! I love cilantro too.

I think I will plant some in my garden this year. I am glad you made me think of it!

The rice looks especially yummy. I think I will steal that idea as a side dish at our house this week. I wonder if the Ukrainians will like it? I think they will.

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Wow! Very impressive! Looks delicious!

Kathy Cassel said...

Yum!

CG said...

Gorgeous! I love pretty, delicious food! At what store did you buy your plantains? We have not had good luck finding nice ones in FL.

Beth said...

Those were just from Publix. And they were fine. We've been able to find some nice ones at smaller produce places, too.

Rachel said...

Yum...do you share recipes? =)

Rachel said...

Yum...do you share recipes? =)