Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Asa's Crazy Family...

Asa's orphanage puts family pictures over the children's beds. I took laminated collage posters (made at costco.com) when I went in October and December. It's time for our little guy to get some new photos! A group is going to Haiti in a few weeks and I'm sending a poster down with another mom (thank you, April!) so he'll have some new scenery. This is what Asa will be looking at when he goes to sleep and wakes up...


I can't tell you how many pictures I have with me making this strange face. When I see a camera, I'm overcome with the urge to stick out my tongue. But Asa needs to be fully aware of what a weirdo his mommy is. I'm just trying to keep it real for him. No need to pretend we're normal. Oh, and don't you love Camden's sweet bowl cut? I did. That changed about two weeks ago when he cut a small chunk of hair off the front. He's the first of my children to do that. I used to brag that my kids had never 1) drawn on the walls or 2) cut their own hair. Cam broke my streak. I'm mourning the loss of his little boy hair & he's now sporting a cute new "big boy" haircut. It's growing on me. Before and After pictures here.

This is Allyson and Chloe cross stitching. We're homeschoolers, you know, so I'm instilling in them the womanly art of needlework. They fashion all of our clothes out of handloomed fabric. After this picture was taken, they churned some butter, practiced for the national spelling bee and conversed in fluent Latin. No wait, none of that ever happened (except the cross stitching).

This was taken when we went to Kentucky for Christmas and that is my Grandpa Nash. He's a genius; a Bible scholar who has written quite a few books and was a Greek professor for many years. And I wouldn't joke about that.

Excuse me while I shed a tear, again, for the bowl cut.

This is me and my teen (also taken in Kentucky at Christmas). Sorry I was too lazy to flip this. I'm using my laptop to suck these pictures right off the server in Jim's office - and they're a pain to edit. I'm sure that's by design because Jim knows I could accidentally delete all of them or something. I'm pretty useless when it comes to technical stuff and my hubby (a computer guru) is fully aware of this. I require his IT services frequently. I also make dumb faces for the camera and don't teach my children Latin. And look at those ripped jeans on my poor daughter! This is what you have to look forward to, Asa.


Chloe. What a sweetie. Our family does have few redeeming qualities.

You may notice that Jim is conspicuously missing from these pictures. That's because he's usually the photographer. Allyson has coined the term "Papa-razzi" because he's a dad who loves to use the burst feature on our camera - click click click click click. I did manage to get one picture of him that made it onto the poster but he'd be embarrassed if I posted it here. I may not know how to mend my 15 year old's jeans - but I do know this: don't ever embarrass your computer support person. At least not if you want to continue blogging. ;o)

11 of your thoughts:

Kathy Cassel said...

Chloe and Camden are such little cuties. It's a great hair cut. They always grow up on you.

Anonymous said...

Your family is so beautiful. I love your sense of humor. Especially about home schooling. It cracked me up!

We are trying the chicken tacos tonight!!! The house already smells YUMMY from the crock pot.

Nadra said...

What a cute family. Asa will love his new pictures.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with the post... I know...

I just wanted you to know that the tacos were a HUGE hit and they were delicous. I have plenty leftover and I am making the soup for tomorrow. Thanks for the GREAT recipes!

Major Mom said...

Such a sweet family. Asa is one lucky little pork chop, or maybe you are the lucky ones:)

Rachel said...

Cute pictures! Is your husband responsible for the bowl cut. Just asking because MY husband is usually do blame for the really bad haircuts in our home!

CG said...

Oh Beth, I love you! Please move to Florida and live next door to me. You are just as kooky as I am with your homeschooling ways, wannabe "little house" skills, inability to make decent camera faces and desire to adopt little sweet ones from Haiti. I need you around to remind me that I'm not totally crazy to be on this path...

Beth said...

I'm in Florida. ;o) But if I remember correctly, I'm on the opposite coast.

We'll definitely have to get our little guys all together when they come home from Haiti.

I actually think there are four of us just in this comment section who are from FL - sounds like a reason for a get-together. :o)

junglemama said...

Cool. I have a strange face too!

Terry said...

Your definitely too young to have a 15 year old daughter!

I loved the bowl cut and the updated spikey look too...but you lost your baby in the process. Don't you hate that! One hair cut and "poof", they grow up.

Forget the holes in the knees...just pray there aren't any on the behind:-) Terry

Beth said...

Thanks, everybody, for the sweet comments!

W to the R:

I'm glad you guys liked the tacos. Did the soup turn out ok?

OFA:

You're right - I am too young to have a 15 year old. ;o)

I had her when I was 17. And everytime I say that, I have to follow it up with the fact that God's grace and mercy abound. From my mess came a truly amazing person; she's such a blessing to me!

:o)