Saturday, October 25, 2008

Next Time I Go To Haiti...

I can't come home alone. I think four visits is enough. I'm hesitant to say that because I love Haiti and I love the Creche, but this trip was particularly draining because Asa is getting older and is understanding more. I know he remembered our visit in July and how I had to leave him. He would cry when I'd take him back to the aunties at bedtime, and handing him over Friday morning was gut-wrenching. I don't ever want leave him again so we're hoping and praying that this lengthy process will be over by the first quarter of next year.

The trip, itself, went smoothly. After a few months of delays, the 84 tubs of food from the C4C box drive were on our plane and eventually made it to the Creche. Getting them out of the airport was interesting (and unexpected since we thought they were going to sit in customs for a few days). But we had and awesome group and everyone pulled together. Amber from C4C, April and her husband Mike (adopting Darline) worked really hard to make the whole thing happen and found favor with almost everyone they encountered (airport personnel, customs agents...).

The village road was noticeably washed out from the flooding which made the the ride.... bumpier. ;o) There is a new live-in director at the Creche and she seems to have things running smoothly. The children are looking so healthy and seem happy. It felt hotter than it had been last October but the evenings were lovely and the children have so much fun playing outside before dinner.

Asa's monthly reports have been accurate. He has definitely gained 3+ pounds since July. He now has a belly to match those chubby cheeks. He talks a lot - I can understand and speak a little bit of baby-Kreyol. He remembered a lot of the toys/books I brought back from last time and enjoyed carrying around his mini tote bag filled with crayons, stickers and sunglasses. He loved to be carried and did not love to be put down (definitely my child). He cuddled up and slept on top of me for a nap which it was sweaty for both of us, but I was in heaven. I think I've mentioned this before, but napping with a toddler is total bliss for me. Oh, and Asa has the BEST LAUGH EVER. Here are a few pictures from the trip. More to come in the next few days...




10 of your thoughts:

Kristi said...

I would have to agree Asa's laugh is definitely the best! You have great photos and I hope that you are able to bring him home on your next visit and more than that I hope it's soon!

Stephanie said...

He is absolutely adorable! You are blessed!!

Nadra said...

Beth...I'll be praying that your next trip to Haiti is the one to bring Asa home...where he belongs. This has taken way too long and it's time for this beautiful boy to join his family. Love his sweet smily pictures.

Kathy Cassel said...

Precious.

Melissa E. said...

Yes, I agree--you definitely need to come home with a little boy in your arms next time!!

I love the pictures!

Major Mom said...

awww...what a cutie. Hopefully in the next few months you will have great news! Is Luxana still at the creche?

Thomas said...

That picture of little Asa Mack on the jungle gym is the BEST. He should be on a poster for absolutely, adorable, heartwarming baby pictures.

Beth said...

MM -

Yes, Luxana is still at the creche and is matched with a sweet family. She is absolutely amazing - talking, walking & healthy. The PT has worked really hard with her and she's been getting lots of nutrition (and LOVE). :o)

Tifanni said...

Super Cute
I can't believe how big he's gotten :)

CG said...

He's wonderful, Beth. I DO pray with all my heart that this is the last trip prior to bringing him home. THANK YOU for taking all that food down where it is so incredibly needed! I am SO GLAD you got through customs without too much hassle. Praise God for all these blessings! And boy, he really does have a belly all of a sudden, doesn't he? He's just stinkin' cute. So let's hear this adorable laugh... A video, perhaps?