Sunday, July 22, 2007

What's For Dinner?

I'm invariably asked this question at least three times a day - usually around 4:00 pm. I often respond with something like: grilled salmon with mango salsa (Camden's favorite), reuben casserole (frequently requested by Allyson) or black bean burritos (Chloe loves those). We enjoy Mexican, Italian, seafood and anything that can be thrown on the grill. We take this abundance of food for granted - Haiti is so different. Some people literally eat biscuits made of dirt. A mother was asked by one of the founders of our orphanage why she fed this to her children... "Better that they die with a full stomach than with the pain of hunger," was her reply. Most of the children have come to the orphanage severely malnourished. They are the fortunate ones. This picture below is of a woman making the common food staple: 10 cups dirt, 5 cups water, 2 cups oil, salt to taste...


We received an informative packet from our orphanage that details the activities they do with the children and the foods that are served. I have to say that Asa is so blessed to be in this orphanage. It's very clean, spacious and safe. And while the menu isn't what we're used to... we're so happy he is getting medical care, clean drinking water and three nutritous meals a day! Most of the children there have been matched with families - so that's good news. And even better - - four have come home to their families recently! In the meantime, the others are being loved and fed...

Here's a sample (exact wording) of what his age group eats:

Breakfast -
BREAD SOUP WITH VEGETABLES - CARROTTE JUICE or
MASHED BANANAS WITH GROUND MEAT-MILK or
SPAGHETTY - CHEESE -BOILED EGGS - FRUIT JUICE


Lunch -
RICE WITH BLACK BEAN SAUCE - HARD LIVER - SALADE - FRUIT JUICE or
WHITE RICE- CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES-FRUIT JUICE or
VEGETABLE SOUP WITH RED MEAT- FRUIT JUICE

Dinner is the same every night -
SOUP WITH GRILLED FLOUR (which is something like cream of wheat, I'm told)

7 of your thoughts:

Laura Lu said...

Isn't it great to get any little bit of information about what our kids are doing, even if it is just his typical menu!!!

People don't believe me when I tell them about the "mud cakes". It is such a horrible reality of life in Haiti!

Beth said...

Yes! Even the littlest details help to give us some sort of comfort.

Haiti needs nourishment, physical and spiritual... The Bread of Life and the Living Water CAN replace dirt biscuits and contaminated water. :o)

Melissa E. said...

Mud cakes...how sad. We just don't have a clue how good we have it here.
I am wondering what hard liver is. Is it some kind of Jerky?
Thank you for stopping by my place and for your encouraging words.
(www.lovedalready.com)

Beth said...

Hi Melissa. No idea what hard liver is. I'll find out when I go in October, though.

And I've really enjoyed reading your blog & look forward to hearing about your adoption!!

:o)

Melissa E. said...

Another question: Why do the mud cakes look so pale? Is it a certain kind of dirt? (gormet dirt?!) do you know?

Beth said...

The dirt or mud is more like a "clay" I think. I read somewhere that it can be used like other minerals for medicinal purposes (like Milk of Magnesia is from manganese and Pepto Bismol is made with bismuth).

Major Mom said...

That really struck me! Dirt cakes? I never knew this. We are adopting a little one from Haiti through FHG and I just found your blog. I will be adding it to my faves!