Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Missing Both My Boys' Birthdays...

Asa turns two today! That's so strange for us because he was only 17 months old in the first picture we saw of him and we accepted his referral when he was 18 months. We've already missed so much of his little life. But I'll be with him next week.

Our Camden turns four next Tuesday, and I'll be in Haiti with Asa. Shhhhhhh - don't tell him. We're going to celebrate his birthday on Friday the 14th, after I return. And since he's little, he'll never know the difference - but it's still a little sad for me. His birthday is a significant one because I always reflect on my amazing 31 hour, drug-free labor. No kidding - it was a great labor and delivery. But we both went downhill quickly after his birth and had some scary complications. So it's also a time of extreme gratitude that we both recovered and that I was blessed with my first boy.

I can't help but wonder what Asa's Haitian mother is thinking & feeling today. We hope you'll join us in lifting her, and the rest of his biological family, in prayer.


Laboring at home with my wonderful doula and the fabulous birthing ball.

Jim with Camden - 12/11/03

9 of your thoughts:

Melissa E. said...

I hope both of your boys' birthdays are really special. A two year old, how absolutely precious that age is. I LOVE two! I won't complain too much about missing a month of my little Ivy at two years old. I'll think of Asa and be glad I have the other 11 months.

I am so glad you can visit with him. Why, oh why, does it have to take so loooonnnngggg to bring him home?!!!!

Praying for you! Remember us; we leave the day after tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

AWW. great post and I love the photos.

Major Mom said...

Happy Birthday Asa! May your next birthday be filled with cake, presents and mommy and daddy! By the way, DRUG FREE ALL THE WAY!!!! I love the pictures! Girl Power:)

Kathy Cassel said...

Wow. Two sons both with December birthdays. That will be lots of fun.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday boys!!

It's funny.... my Camden was born in December as well, the 20th!!

Beth said...

When we saw that his B-day was in December... we knew he was ours! Most of the boys/men in Jim's family (plus both our moms) have December & January birthdays. In our immediate family, we have 7!! It's an expensive time of year.

Melissa - praying for you daily. I've been thinking about your family a lot.

Michelle - looks like you guys are getting so close!! :o)

Laura Lu said...

HaPpY BiRtHDaY BoYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Pics! :)

Kathy Cassel said...

Not sure if you're in Haiti yet or just getting ready to go but I hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful time with your new son.

Nikki said...

Hi there! I am just trying to get the word out that I am designing blogs for a good cause. It costs $20 and part goes to Real Hope for Haiti and part goes to funding my humanitarian aid trip to the Dominican Republic. Please check out my blog at http://madebynikki.blogspot.com if you are interested!
Thanks,
Nikki