Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Asa's New Poster...


That I'll be putting over his bed in ONE WEEK! I actually spent most of today in the balmy Florida air (93°F - 89% humidity) and forced myself to stay outside as long as possible without surrendering and running back into the house for A/C. I think this pre-Haiti therapy might alleviate some of the shock from the oppressive summer heat once I get there. I'll let you know if it works. I also started my new anti-malarial pills today. I had a terrible reaction after my second dose of the Chloroquine last year so I'm taking an alternative, Doxycycline. The doctor who treated me said that medication allergies usually appear after that second dose, which is why I've started taking this daily pill a little early. I was supposed start only two days before departing but I really don't want to risk a crazy reaction in Haiti.

Our "adoption process news" isn't very rosy. There are rumors that Parquet (where our file is currently parked) will be closed from August-October. We don't have much reliable information as to whether they will continue to process files already the office, if they will just set them aside during the closure or if this whole thing is just misinformation. And, surprise, surprise - - UNICEF has been mentioned as one of the possible reasons (read this if you aren't familiar with UNICEF's involvement in keeping orphans from loving families).

We would be so grateful for any prayers you'll offer up for this situation. There are so many loving families who are anxiously awaiting the homecoming of their precious children. There are so many children who need to be with their families and not in orphanages. It's hard to make sense of a system that just doesn't seem to care. We just keep praying.....

7 of your thoughts:

AprilC said...

Ok...your kids are so cute, I can't stand it! Hopefully we will have good news about Parquet when we are Haiti...we deserve it!

CG said...

SO glad you'll be with him soon, Beth!!

A Child's Voice updated that post from yesterday to say that the Parquet office is NOT closing after all. :)

I hope you don't have a bad reaction to the pills. I had a malaria scare after my last trip. Thankfully, it was just some 24 hour bug...

Salzwedel Family said...

Praying this is not true & you have good news soon.

Stinkin' UNICEF!

Anonymous said...

Yes, a beautiful family!

There are so many rumors in International adoption, let's hope that is all this is, a rumor.

At any rate, I am so glad you can go and see him so very soon! Have a fantastic, sweat-filled time.

Kimmie said...

Hi Beth!

I will be praying and BELIEVING!

I am so excited for all of you...hey, don't forget to drink fluids when you are down there...if the sun gets to you, well certainly dehydration can be a major issue too!

hugs and my prayers!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Kathy Cassel said...

No, no, no, no. They can NOT close parquet. Auuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. At least get everyone through whose file is there now.

Melissa said...

Your photo is so cute! I can't wait to see it hanging over Asa's bed! See you soon!