Monday, March 30, 2009

"Bank You, Mommmmmmy"

I hear this no less that 50 times a day. It is absolutely precious. Asa is a very grateful little boy. According to the woman who acts as the live-in manager at the creche, Asa would say thank you to his aunties and caretakers all the time - - when they would help him with buttons, give him food or tie his shoes. When he first came home, he'd say "Mesi Mama" (and still does, sometimes). He has transitioned to the adorable and very dramatic "Bank you, mommmy!" which melts my heart! We try to model gratitude with all of our children since it's just such an important character trait. I'm so happy that our little Asa takes such joy in giving thanks! He loves to thank God in his prayers, too. His bedtime prayer is usually pretty long and fervent, includes some singing, names of children from the creche and some other things I'm not quite sure of. But this is what he says before breakfast, lunch and dinner:

"Bank you, God for cee-ee-al (cereal... Rice Krispies to be precise),
for Papa,
Mama,
Ally,
Klo-eeee,
Can-den,
Ahn-ry (Henry the dog, they are best friends now)
and Asa Mackenley.
De De-dus name (in Jesus name)
AMEN!"

What a cutie pie. I want to eat him up!! And in other news... Asa hasn't had any of the crying spells that had been common, initially. He is responding well to correction; instead of "disconnecting" and looking away, he makes eye contact and seems eager to understand what we're trying to tell him. And bedtime has been a joy the past two nights. Tonight was hilarious because he kept yelling to Camden (long after Cam had been asleep) "Can-den... I love YOU. Can-den! Can-den! I loooooove yooooou!" Yeah. It made me cry.

9 of your thoughts:

Stephanie said...

It would make me cry, too! How very, very precious.

CG said...

Oh man, I could eat this post with waffles for all it's syrupy sweetness! What adorable & precious words from your little man!

Sarah and Tim said...

this was so sweet to read! thanks for sharing!

Nikki said...

Awww, what a sweetheart!

Melissa E. said...

so precious. Here is some unsolicited advice: Get Lots of Video and write down as much as you can! I know that's hard to do because you are busy but maybe just a note on your calendar or something! It goes so fast and you just can't blog it all! The little accent that wont last--oh, won't you miss that!? Anyway, something I wish I did a bit more of...especially those first English phrases.

Sounds like you have an adorable little sweetie pie on your hands!

Katy said...

That is SO adorable...=) Gave me a much needed smile as my file sits in dispensation...Thank you.

Unknown said...

That is so adorable :)

Kimmie said...

God certainly is good! Asa is such a sweet baby!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Sean's Ladies said...

I haven't been by your blog in awhile.... I don't get to other's blogs as often as I'd like.
Anyway, I am SOOO excited to see your sweet man is home!!! And that you are finally hearing those sweet little utterances with that melt your heart Kreyol accent!!!!!!!!

I know I am just online, but let me know if I can come alongside you in any way during your transition.

What joy you have brought my heart today!!!