Monday, August 4, 2008

My Third Trip To Haiti...

Was, by far, my best visit with our little Asa Mack. He is healthier & happier than ever and has grown in so many ways. He has the sweetest personality; he loves to share, he is gentle and he is SUPER CUDDLY. He really is starting to talk a lot and can say the names of everyone in our family (except Camden, but he does have a special word he uses consistently for Cam). I have a GREAT video of that... it'll be up soon. He talks to all the other toddlers in his room and it's adorable to hear them carry on their little conversations in Creole. I'm still feeling a bit icky from my recent tummy troubles, but here are a few pictures and memories from the trip...


We got in on Tuesday afternoon and this is what our luggage truck looked like:




When I walked into the orphanage, I went straight back to Asa's room where he was dressed up and waiting. The auntie (nanny) told him that I was his mama - he looked at me for a second, then smiled HUGE and came running. He grabbed me around my neck and didn't let go (the same reaction as my second trip). I'm sure he recognized me from the pictures above his bed, but this time, within minutes, he was calling me "mama."



One of the sweetest memories will be cuddling up for a nap with my boy! I LOVE naps and the only thing better than a nap is a nap with a toddler!! Have I mentioned how hot it was? I brought a battery powered table fan for next to the bed. When I turned it on, Asa looked SO confused - - I don't think he's ever felt relief from the stifling summer heat there. He smiled & konked out very soon after laying his head down. I'm glad I had my camera close because I was able to get some precious pictures of him sleeping & holding my hand.



The kids LOVE sunglasses so I brought a pair for him. He loved wearing them atop his head, and especially liked that he matched the picture of Papa and Camden in the new poster I brought.


We spent a lot of time playing with toys I brought. I had a little canvas bag for him and he loved carrying his books and treats in it. He was also happy just hanging out on my lap while I enjoyed visiting with other parents on the trip.


The aunties really seem to love him and loved showing off the fact that he can recite some sort of rhyme they taught him. I have no idea what it means but they had him do it over and over and smiled with pride each time he did. The auntie on the right in this photo told me that she loved him and she loves me - I responded that I loved her as well, and then we agreed we are "fanmi" (family).



My favorite time of day is right after the sun sets and everything turns a pinkish-purple. I didn't get any good photos this time, but even if I did, I doubt a photo would do the color justice. This was taken a little too early.

Anyone who has been to Haiti knows that you can't leave the country without leaving behind a little piece of your heart. There's no way to fully describe the shocking poverty or the tremendous beauty. I think most people (especially in the US) don't realize that those, seemingly opposite qualities, can coexist. Anyway, I'm sure I'll remember more in the days to come. It's always a hard transition from Haiti to home.

8 of your thoughts:

Melissa E. said...

I hope you got video of him saying his little poem!

Misha had a poem that he said for us but we didn't know how to ask them to have him do it for our camera later on. He actually learned it for a spot on TV--I am guessing something to do with Christmas and Orphanage charity. We heard him say it for the cameras but they wouldn't let us in the room. Now he doesn't remember.

I am so glad you had a rewarding time with your little boy. How fortunate you are that he will cuddle with you!

Kristi said...

What a great post! I agree totally with your favorite time of day in Haiti - everything is so calm and relaxing and quiet! (well except the babies they're never quiet!)

Major Mom said...

Oh, he's soooo precious. Hope you are feeling better.

CG said...

What beautiful photos, and I love the nanny who loves you and him! How sweet! Glad you're home safe and that you're recovering well. Praying you'll return again soon - for a pickup!

Anonymous said...

Dear mommy this is so cute. I hope you had a good time in Haiti. :o)

Love, Chloe

Thomas said...

I love the way you write. Very moving and emotional. Asa is such a handsome boy and I can't wait for you to have him home to watch the beautiful Florida sunsets with him in your arms.

Salzwedel Family said...

I am really looking forward to my first trip to Haiti in September. I know I will be forever changed.

Your Asa is precious!

Stephanie said...

Ohhhh ... my heart is melting. He is so precious, and your final words about leaving behind a little piece of your heart are ringing in my ears. We leave for our first visit to Haiti next week!